Where hundreds of billions of federal dollars go, scrutiny is sure to follow. As with the last financial crisis, a constellation of law enforcement and oversight entities – including several new ones – will examine how pandemic relief funding is utilized. This webinar will cover what to expect and how to prepare for the coming wave of investigations and oversight.
- Where federal money flows, scrutiny follows. We saw this following the financial crisis.
- Carefully assess when and how to participate in the benefits provided by the stimulus package. There are strings attached. Newly created entities add to the constellation of government actors that will scrutinize federal relief efforts for years to come.
- Consequences from stimulus oversight can run the gamut from business disruption and bad publicity to regulatory issues, civil litigation, criminal prosecutions, and more. Therefore, an ounce of prevention now will likely be worth a pound of cure later.
- Involve your legal team now. Your lawyers should be helping to assess program requirements in the context of your regulatory environment.
- Ensure compliance best practices for new requirements – establish appropriate policies and controls, document appropriately, monitor compliance, and escalate problems.
- Review existing vulnerabilities in the light of current circumstances, and be cognizant of oversight risks that stem from conduct not strictly related to the federal program.