Since the coronavirus pandemic began, the volume of counterfeit goods produced by Chinese manufacturers appears to be on the rise again. While counterfeit goods have been a challenge that online retailers have been fighting for years, the risk has become greater in the COVID-19 era when more consumers are turning to online shopping. Counterfeit goods result in lost revenue and reputational harm to retailers. More than ever, companies need to monitor for counterfeit goods to protect their brand integrity.
In view of this threat, this webinar will discuss the following practical tools companies can use to protect patented products and related brands:
- Using the Amazon Neutral Patent Evaluation Procedure to remove counterfeit products
- Using the Amazon Brand Registry to remove counterfeit trademarked goods
- Recording registered trademarks with U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Strategies for combatting counterfeiting include:
- Focus on key products and brands
- Register trademarks and copyrights
- Monitor online marketplaces
- Enforce efficiently through demand letters and online tools
- Educate customers
- Amazon has created a Neutral Patent Evaluation Procedure (currently in beta and invitation-only) that serves as an arbitration for removing products that infringe a patent.
- Companies can enroll in Amazon’s Brand Registry to be included in automated monitoring for brands (both mark scanning and product serial number verification).
- Always feature your brand’s mark prominently on products or packaging.
- Record trademark registrations and copyright applications/registrations on the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol recordation website.