Dave Cooper has represented domestic and international companies in several of the most significant economic development projects in the South.
He has extensive experience representing these companies in all phases of the site selection process, including site due diligence, labor analysis, incentive negotiation, and project implementation. Dave’s recent projects include manufacturing plants, technology parks, distribution centers, corporate headquarters, and back-office operations.
As part of Dave’s economic development and site selection practice, he performs cost-benefit and incentives analysis, labor reports, incentive compliance, real estate acquisitions, and counsels companies on the myriad of issues that arise in expanding or establishing a new facility.
Through Dave’s broad experience, he has become a trusted advisor to business clients on a wide range of issues related to their business expansions and relocations.
SITE SELECTION, REAL ESTATE AND PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION EXPERIENCE
- Tesla Motors, Inc. – Incentives and deal counsel to Tesla Motors in the development of its $5 Billion battery manufacturing Gigafactory in Storey County, Nevada (Ranked among the 2014 “Top 10 Business Deals in North America” by Site Selection magazine)
- Volkswagen Group of America (Chattanooga Automotive Manufacturing Plant) – National site selection counsel for location of $1 Billion automotive manufacturing plant, employing over 3,500 people and producing 180,000 vehicles per year
- Volkswagen Group of America (Chattanooga Plant Expansion) – Incentives counsel for $600+ Million expansion of the VW Chattanooga manufacturing plant, which adds 2,000 jobs to the facility (Ranked among the 2014 “Top 10 Business Deals in North America” by Site Selection magazine)
- PulteGroup – Incentives counsel to national homebuilder relocating corporate headquarters from Detroit to Atlanta
- VF Corporation – Incentives counsel to apparel conglomerate, VF Sportswear, in corporate relocation from Manhattan to New Jersey
- Roxul Inc. – Site selection and corporate counsel for Danish stone wool insulation manufacturer’s first U.S. plant, which will employ approximately 150 people and require a capital investment in excess of $160 Million
- Rockfon – Incentives counsel for expansion of Roxul plant in Marshall County, Mississippi to include Rockfon product line
- Infinity Insurance Company – Real estate and incentives counsel to publicly traded automotive insurance provider in multiple corporate office transactions
- Torch Technologies, Inc. – Incentives counsel for major expansion of headquarters and operations facility of high-tech research, design, and engineering firm
- Cummings Aerospace, Inc – Incentives counsel for expansion and relocation of engineering and technical services company in the aerospace industry
- CBC (AMERICA) Corp. – Site selection, incentives, and real estate counsel to automotive supplier
- REHAU Automotive – Incentives and real estate counsel to automotive supplier
- IPG Photonics – Incentives and real estate counsel to fiber laser technology company
- Volkswagen Group of America (Roane Parts Distribution Facility) – Site selection counsel for parts distribution facility to support Volkswagen dealer network
- Carpenter Technology Corp. – Incentives and real estate counsel to specialty alloy manufacturing company
- Hibbett Sporting Goods – Site selection and real estate counsel to sporting goods distributor for location of distribution center, which was ranked #5 in “Birmingham’s Real Estate Deals of the Year” by Birmingham Business Journal
- Jim Wilson & Associates – Incentives counsel to Riverchase Galleria’s 1.5 million square-ft. mall renovation project
- Silver Companies – Project management counsel to major mixed-used, retail and entertainment planned development
- Royal Technologies – Represented City of Cullman in structuring incentive and real estate matters for advanced manufacturing company producing automotive interior components and office furniture.
- Courtesy Buick GMC – Incentives and real estate counsel to automotive dealer in showroom relocation.
- Birmingham Barons Baseball – Represented City of Birmingham in negotiation of lease and development of downtown baseball stadium, Regions Field, which was named as “Birmingham’s Real Estate Deal of the Year” by Birmingham Business Journal.
- Birmingham Zoo – On a pro bono basis, negotiated and structured funding arrangements, which facilitated creation of “Trails of Africa” elephant exhibit at zoo
- Cadence Bank – Real estate and incentive counsel for bank headquarters and operations center, which was ranked #7 in “Birmingham’s Real Estate Deals of the Year” by Birmingham Business Journal
- State of Alabama – Special Counsel to State of Alabama in location of ThyssenKrupp Steel and Stainless manufacturing facility as well as EADS Northrop Grumman Airbus project