Dorothy Pak’s extensive experience advising public and private companies, and especially healthcare companies, in general business matters enables her to provide a broad perspective and a deep understanding to clients operating in a highly regulated environment. She represents inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation businesses, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic imaging facilities, academic medical centers and other healthcare companies in matters involving complex transactional and regulatory issues. She has successfully guided clients through mergers and acquisitions, syndications, joint ventures, internal restructurings and financing transactions.
Recent transactions in which Dorothy played an integral role include:
- Represented Surgical Care Affiliates, Inc. in its sale to UnitedHealth Group in a deal valued at $2.3 billion.
- Represented Vincari, a provider of surgical computer-assisted physician documentation solutions, in sale of the company to Nuance Communications, Inc., a publicly held company providing healthcare AI solutions and services.
- Represented management group of large automotive services franchise in connection with capital investment by venture capital firm.
- Represented Encompass Health (formerly HealthSouth Corporation) in the sale of its ambulatory surgery division to Texas Pacific Group in a transaction valued at approximately $920 million and in the sale of its outpatient rehabilitation division to Select Medical Corporation in a transaction valued at approximately $245 million. Each transaction involved a complicated internal restructuring to prepare the divisions for sale.
- Counsel to Hyundai Heavy Industries and its subsidiary Hyundai Electric Systems Alabama, Inc., in locating a $90 million manufacturing plant to Montgomery, Alabama, their first manufacturing facility in North America. The team successfully negotiated the project agreement, as well as the incentives package, with the State of Alabama and the local governments and provided counsel with respect to real estate, corporate, construction, labor and employment, choice of entity and state and local tax issues.
In addition to her healthcare work, Dorothy maintains a general corporate and securities practice and is heavily involved in economic development matters, representing businesses locating in Alabama in connection with the negotiation of incentives and the implementation of economic development projects.