Judd Harwood focuses his practice on general and nonprofit corporate transactions and healthcare regulatory issues. Judd represents a wide range of healthcare clients in connection with mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and physician alignment strategies, corporate reorganizations, private securities offerings, corporate governance, employment and independent contractor relationships and general corporate matters. His clients include health systems, hospitals and related healthcare facilities, multi and single specialty medical practices, ambulatory surgery centers, dialysis providers, hospice and home health agencies and non-profit healthcare organizations. Recent representative transactions include:
- The representation of Fresenius Medical Care North America in connection with its acquisition of Liberty Dialysis Holdings Inc for $2.1 billion.
- The representation of a non-profit healthcare system in the sale of two hospitals and an outpatient rehabilitation and therapy center to a private equity sponsored hospital system in a transaction representing a capital investment in excess of $400 million.
- The representation of two municipal bodies in the sale of a regional referral center to a non-profit healthcare system for a purchase price in excess of $60 million and a commitment to construct a $250 million replacement facility.
- The representation of HealthSouth Corporation in the sale of its diagnostic division to a private equity firm.
- The representation of HealthSouth Corporation in the sale of a 74-bed rehabilitation hospital and outpatient center, a stand alone rehabilitation facility and an occupational medicine rehabilitation therapy business located in Melbourne Australia.
- The representation of several healthcare companies in private placements and related financing transactions.
Judd's regulatory experience includes counseling healthcare organizations with regard to state and federal laws governing fraud and abuse, self-referral prohibitions, facility and provider licensure and certificate of need issues, Medicare and Medicaid payment issues, the development and maintenance of corporate compliance programs and health information privacy and security (state law and HIPAA) issues.
Although a substantial portion of Judd's practice is related to advising healthcare related clients, he also advises companies from a broad range of industries on general corporate and transactional matters such as asset and stock purchases, merger transactions, private securities offerings as well as ongoing contractual and business planning needs.