Our Environmental Law Practice Group consists of both a focused environmental regulatory and transactional practice and a litigation practice that includes real estate, environmental, and natural resources. We are committed to effectively and efficiently serving our business clients while responding to shifting regulations and enforcement priorities. We do more than stay abreast of environmental issues; we advocate for our clients, who consider us part of their team of trusted business advisors.
While Bradley attorneys have extensive experience with knotty regulatory issues – such as compliance with the Clean Air Act and enforcement in highly
regulated industries – we also provide sound, pragmatic legal advice to companies on transactional matters. We take a hands-on approach, venturing beyond
our clients’ corporate offices and into the field – visiting plants, real estate holdings, and other sites – to respond to environmental issues with
solutions that meet clients’ immediate needs as well as their long-term goals.
We have relationships with state and federal regulators that allow us to deal effectively to resolve clients’ issues.
Our environmental lawyers represent a broad range of clients in various industries, including:
- Large corporate clients in manufacturing and heavy industry, with either direct responsibility at their own facilities or properties they are financing
- Real estate builders, developers, and construction companies in matters such as environmental assessments of property, purchasing and selling property,
and related permits
- Energy companies, such as solar companies, coal miners, natural gas developers and transmissions companies, refineries, electric co-ops, and biomass
- Utilities, independent power producers seeking to put power on the grid, and pipeline companies that are operating interstate and intrastate
with huge linear facilities
- Financial institutions at the development stage, providing advice on brownfields or greenfield development associated with wetlands, and refinancing that may
involve environmental assessments, compliance, and managing related risks factors that these liabilities pose to our clients
- Insurance companies, brokers and policyholders, providing assistance in creating, defining, and obtaining coverage and writing manuscript policies
Retail gasoline service stations
For more about our approach to environmental law, see our pages devoted to Environmental Regulatory, Transactional and Litigation, Natural Resources Litigation, and Real Estate.
- Crafted amendments to EPA air regulations to allow international clients to build a new facility in Mississippi with new technology.
- Represented two defendants involved in the Deepwater Horizon oil rig and the largest oil spill in the history of the United States.
- Successfully defended Anadarko Petroleum in an Endangered Species Act and national environmental policy act challenge in the Southern District of Alabama
to the lease of property from the United States in the Gulf of Mexico immediately after the Deepwater Horizon event for the purpose of oil exploration.
- Represented a nationwide multifamily housing provider in investigating, managing, defending, and resolving environmental claims at its residential
properties, including for mold, asbestos, lead, and other exposures.
- Assisted an international real estate developer in a matter involving environmental contamination of a client-owned apartment complex caused by gasoline
station operations of an adjacent landowner, including guidance regarding permitting access to the property for investigation, working with expert
consultants for analysis of vapor intrusion test results, and negotiating agreements defining scope of environmental investigation.
- Represented a client in a multiparty CERCLA cost recovery and contribution action brought by the owner of a contaminated property against prior owners
and operators of the property seeking recovery of portions of a multimillion-dollar investigation and remediation costs.
Defended a consumer product manufacturer in premises liability asbestos cases in Illinois, Delaware, and California, including drafting motions that
ultimately resulted in dismissal of all claims against our client.